Overview & Purpose
In 2020, the United States Census Bureau will conduct its decennial census, which includes gathering statistical population and housing data for analysis and dissemination to the public. The mission of the decennial census is "to serve as the nation's leading provider of quality data about its people and economy."
For more information, please visit the US Census Bureau's website here.
Uses of Census Information
- Determines number of U.S.. House of Representatives seats per state
- Defines congressional and state legislative districts, school districts, and voting precincts
- Determines the allocation of $675B dollars in federal funding
- Provides insight to governments, business and community planning groups
- Provides population benchmarks for nearly every other United States survey
Census Day 2020
Census Day 2020 begins on April 1, 2020. Every household will have the option of responding online, by mail, or by phone. [For Spanish translation, see here].
The Census Bureau partners with community organizations to help ensure everyone is counted. Community ties can include elected officials, colleges and universities, school districts, libraries, local business, and government offices. This partnership helps form a Complete Count Committee charged with identifying and overcoming obstacles during the Census count.
Job Opportunities with the US Census Bureau
Various job opportunities exist with the US Census Bureau, including office managers, field managers, clerical support staff, and technology managers. Job descriptions and applications can be accessed both at https://2020census.gov/jobs and www.USAJobs.gov.
The Census Bureau selected Peekskill as the location of the Lower Hudson Valley Field Office. Specific job listings for this location are below:
1) Lead Census Field Manager: In order to be considered, all applicants must reside in Westchester or Putnam County. Hourly rate is $30.50 hour and this is a full time position. NOTE: The closing date is July 5 2019. Interested individuals can view the announcement and apply here: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDeTtails/525229400
2) Area Census Office Manager: In order to be considered, all applicants must reside in Westcheseter or Putnam County. Hourly rate is $33.50 hour and this is a full time position. NOTE: The closing date is July 5 2019. Interested individuals can view the announcement and apply here: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/525229000
The Census & Confidentiality
All responses are protected by Federal Law, Title 13. All violations/violators are subject to penalities and/or prison.
For more information:
- Confidentiality Report, English here.
- Confidentiality Report, Spanish here.